Monday, June 23

Infinitely exciting


Hey Mom! listen to this!


You tell her . No! You tell her!


So ermm...yada, blabbidy blada...


Errrr....I dont. think. she got it.

I regularly hear nosh n reh giggling or chuckling together or by themselves downstairs. Initially I used to go downstairs to see what they were upto and used to be surprised to see they were laughing at some joke on TV. Must be some silly joke on their kiddie programmes I used to think.
Now though, it's exciting to me to see them laughing at jokes and punchlines. For me its just the same as them learning to walk or talk....their sense of humour is a delight to experience! Funny thing is how different even their sense of humour is from each other. Reh's is very slapstick, funny noises, funny moves kind of stuff that sends him roaring. Nosh - its witty one-liners and irritating one-ups. Having the last say kind of thing.
Whatver it is though, it cracks me up - watching them following a program and laughing where they should and sometimes where I'm surprised they did! They got that? I wonder...they really understood the joke behind that? wow. It's like seeing your kids come of age to a certain extent...holding a conversation, keeping it going, adding jokes and inventing banter on car-rides....it's really delightful to me. Long were those days when you looked in the rearview mirror and made inhuman noises to get a reaction from the kids in the backseat who looked equally surprised at this mime. Now, it's high energy conversations and of course - fighting for who spots the most Mercs (hey!! why are you looking at the ones outside MY window?) who spots Nandeenie's (Nandini) (say nan like a gora would say nan as in tandoori naan) house first even though poor Nandini probably gets a spate of horrible hiccups everyday since we're always passing by her house, who gets to pick which song to play etc and then there are those days when conversation flows smoothly. CONVERSATION! I will never get used to it or become less grateful for it.
I used to Hate those days - the first 15-16 months before the kids start talking. My God were they long. I'm not a talker so its nice when they babble and I can listen or referee. Bliss!

4 comments:

Indian in NZ said...

It always puts a smile on my face when that happens in my household too - the two of them coversing or discussing a game or inventing games while sitting in the back seat of the car.

Great pics and the captions too !

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back writing !!

Preethi said...

Nosh's expression in the last picture is priceless :)

Mona said...

aw nats! gorgeous photos.
the captions are perfect!