Sunday, April 6

Toy Story

Wow. I just had a first-hand experience of how easy it is to explain a situation, a feeling to my kids with the help of toys. I mean yes, there were always puppets, other toys and the odd sock but yesterday, I went to do some toy-shopping and bought Nosh a toy crib and changing table set. She'd been asking me for one for a while and I'm the kind who prefers that she uses things around the house to make cribs for the dolls and just basically imagine and re-use things to suit her fancy. So I watched her diligently place her dolls in shoe boxes lined with tissues and make bottles and powder tins out of lego blocks. I've heard bemusedly many conversations she's had with her 'kids' and been an audience to many imaginative goings-on.
So when I gave her the toys to play with and she brought her brother into the picture (Reh mama? lol!) there was a lot of excitement and an incident where Reh complained that the baby scratched him. Nosh immediately reprimanded her baby and I heard a lot of "bad girl" "no"! and all that. I just stepped in with the referee role lol saying she's a baby and she doesnt know what she's doing and all that. Reh felt very bad and started kissing the doll saying its ok its ok etc etc. Nosh covered the baby in a giant hug and all was well. I'd tried explaining that so many times with real people before, littler cousins but it didnt go down as easily as this did and it just showed me a new and maybe easier way of making them understand things. All it took was for them to be proactive in choosing someone to be theirs and forming a relationship with them. The ease with which it went down and was understood was an eye-opener to me, a relief. Exciting too because I see endless possibilities in explaining lots of things to them, maybe learning more. Oh I can't wait to play.

I used to hate that game - 'mummy mummy', or 'house', whatever you call it as a kid. Now it seems extremely helpful!



Nosh with her brother's baby Sophie (hyuk hyuk!)


She was saying it's time to cut her nails....


Proud mom/aunt?

All's well when the baby's so happily asleep!

4 comments:

Mona said...

love the pictures, your kids are cute, nat!

mayG said...

awww... this is so cute! my little one seems to have adopted her bunny and teddies and monkeys and plays mommy around them while the doll lies neglected in some toy box!

Indian in NZ said...

:-)

RaisingT said...

shes adorable.. and thats such a cool insight into making kids understand.. will try to use it with T soon :)