Friday, September 26

You listening?

Confession: I didnt fast this Ramzan. For the first time in my whole life. I went through this month which is almost coming to an end having survived just one fast. You have to know me to understand the meaning behind this. I was the one who never left one day of fasting despite international travel, pregnancies, being away from home, no hope of good food (hostel years) et al. This year, I just didnt have the strength or the inclination. I had the best intentions before the month started. When it did though, I just felt a multitude of feelings that overwhelmed me AND made me sit up straight. I was mix of rebellion and just tired. Plain tired.
Tired physically yea, but thats not it. I was tired of thinking of everything I used to be doing in religion as a way of showing my love and faithfulness for God. Prove it to me, prove it to me....that bit I was tired of. Maybe it's not the norm for it to be thought of that way but in my head, thats how I've been letting religion run my life.
Before anyone mistakes me, I am not a fanatic, I love my religion, havent given up on it or anything, my faith runs stronger today than ever before. I'm not a fundu either.
In this country far away from home, I grew used to having RBC Radio on all the time, not just when I want to listen to songs. It was my only link to listening to Hindi, brought up memories, made me happy, sad, excited, angry, whatever in only a way that something you grew up with can. Music does that right? So I have it on all through the night too. God knows I've had only the radio for company through rocking babies to sleep a hundred times through the night, through RSV and puking and sickness and health. Thanks to that, I get up in the morning and am greeted by bhajans. Initially I used to switch it off, like a scared reaction, like I might listen to something I might end up liking. Slowly through rushed mornings it was'nt switched off and some of them I liked listening to, grew accustomed to hearing. I also knew it reminded me of my own faith bcos all said and done, it's a feeling. To acknowledge the Creator and give thanks, ask for help.

Likewise, I know I wouldnt be wrong in saying Islam has a way of running religion based on fear. I know it could be the interpretations of generations that worked but as soon as I was old enough to think, I realised it didnt work for me. I obeyed and I felt a blind love but the minute I discovered the Christian way of looking at things, I adopted the attitude. I brought that attitude into my own faith and since then my life is just one big conversation with Allah. I have never felt better or more mired or convinced of my own faith.
All this to explain Iam not a fundu.
So why didnt I fast? Like I said, I was tired of proving myself, my love or my leanings. I know those are not the requirements or reasons for fasting. Thats just why I took a break this year. After my fathers death and a couple more hard knocks, I am way too tired to take on any more hardship and definitely not hunger lol!
I know now what a man must feel like to keep having to bring flowers or dig out luscious bits of poetry or innovative ways of romancing to show his feelings or keep the love alive. I mean surely it has its place and advantages but sometimes it should be enough to believe that he does love you. And I do love my Lord. I just hope and pray he forgives my weakness as of this year and my refusal to obey this one time. Or maybe there'll be more. I dont know. I just hope my entry into heaven is not going to be barred bcos I couldnt pass up a few meals. You know what I've been upto all my life God...so cut me some slack ok? ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Loved this post, could see it came straight from the heart.

I am a Hindu and have felt this way about my religion for a few years now. I say a short prayer before I sleep but don't feel compelled to do a puja everyday or even on a festival day. I do it whenever I feel an inner urge instead, even if that happens to be at midnight. :)

I am sure God doesn't really mind it.

I landed up here from The Mad Momma's btw.

Indian in NZ said...

I felt the same way when last year I just couldn't fast on Karwa Chawth. I tried but I just couldn't get through the day without food, I just apologised to God and ate without waiting for the moon which doesn't rise here before 11.30pm during that time of year here. I was quite disturbed with that fear of not doing what I am expected to do on this day for long life of my husband,I even wrote a post on it.

I have decided that from now on I am not going to fast, will only do the puja when moon rises, people can think whatever they want to as long as God understands me....

Nat said...

Welcome Devaki - nice to have you here. Yup - the urge I think is more soul enriching than doing it bcos you have to.

2b'sMommy - I wonder if its something about being mommies and depleted energy levels that fasting feels so hard to do now. I know - I went thru the what will people think too but I knew deep down, since I wasnt doing it for them, they'd better stop worrying about me lol!

the mad momma said...

we're all getting there Nat so I hope God is listening. I am tired of organised religion. I am tired of associating denial and sacrifice with a loving God. And I loved this post...

dipali said...

I'm absolutely sure God will understand. It's the love and faith within that really matter. Chin up, Nat. I really loved this post:)