If I'd only figured it out earlier....it would have saved me a lot of confusion and grief. I just realised that boys and girls have different ways to deal with their frustrations or just think things through too. At least my boy and girl anyway. And I'm sure it's the same for many more.
I see that Reh comes around more easily if there's a physical activity involved in letting him find his way around in his thinking or understanding something. If I'd had him before Nosh, maybe I would have figured it out earlier too. As it stands now, I used to try to make him understand things the way I used to with Nosh. Which is talk or read a similiar - situation'ed' story or just cuddle. With Reh I see it has to be that he has to be on his feet, doing something or just being physical to avoid meltdowns or just frustration. If I find something for us to do, or take his cue and follow him it's seconds before he falls back on track again and feels better about whatever it was that was bothering him. The simplest is to let him run free. Ride his scooter or jeep and he's a much more pleasant and agreeable person.
At the same time, if I do what I do with Nosh which is quiet time - even as far as physical activity is concerned she loves to be pushed on a swing or play games that dont require so much exertion that you end up hurting yourself, he's still a bundle of energy waiting to let it rip.
The understanding of that has let me get my sleep back. I hate having irritated, frustrated kids on my hands and the moment I understood what he needs and this oh so simple way of handling him, it's been peaceful. That's not to say that he doesn't like to be cuddled or doesn't love his share of reading and quiet time talking over pushing his cars and back forth. He loves it, I love the way his little legs run to get books when it's time to read. I love the way he smiles shyly when I join him in his games. But for him to retain his sanity, he needs to let it drain from his body -whatever's frustrating him.
Even though he's not shy, for a few months now, he feels a little wary about entering his grandma's house where everyone greets him with smiley loud "heys!" or "Reh!" Immediately his index finger goes in his mouth and he dashes to the kid's room for cover. Lately though he needs to play outside a bit before he makes his way in. Such a bundle of contradictions.
Nosh on the other hand though - I've started letting her watch those Disney shows like Hannah Montana (I know I know!!) and Wizards...Place etc. The kid's theatrical talents have been awakened. She dances more confidently, she can imitate accents and generally I guess a part of her has come alive. Just lost her for a bit though when she went around talking like the said Hannah. **shudder** That was painful to watch. Again - I guess everything has its phase and she's back.
Add to that the camp she's in this time has all her favourite activities -theatre, arts n crafts and Gymnastics. The kid loves to use her body in a graceful manner (you wont get her to huddle or scrape knees on a regular basis) and so this particular camp has her excited and raring to go. There's a recital at the end of the camp and I'm thrilled to be going to see it! They make the props, costumes and everything related to the show as part of their arts and crafts, they practice for the show and the gym where they cartwheel and somersault and let loose on the trampoline is her dream come true. No roasting in the sun throwing balls and swinging bats for her. Although I hope she changes her mind about that - I'd love for her to be on a sports team. Other than gymnastics too!
Monday, July 21
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
hey nat, been meaning to comment for ages..that makes sense about reh wanting to work his frustration out - my brother was like that too. i don't know if it's specifically a boy thing - but he needed to be on hit feet doing something physical for him to be manageable. for a time, we worried about how fidgety he seemed to be all the time - until my mom figured that all she needed to do was find a way to release all his pent up energy.
and all i've got to say is, HANNAH MONTANA?! i feel your pain, sista!
Post a Comment