Friday, March 21

Eating Habits

Indian cuisines are so carb-oriented that I wonder if I'm going to make life easy for Nosh and Reh if I just minimised that right now itself. Right now they're going to work it off some way or the other bcos of all the running around but what happens later? When their lifestyle is less running around and more laidback? What if they're just as lazy as me about getting exercise?
It's really something thats always on my mind. I try not to stack up on chips, pretzels and all of that kind of stuff at home and the only times you'd find them at home would be after a party. Then yea, they pretty much finish it up. Or on the odd day that they come food-shopping with me then we do a quick sprint through the chips and etc aisle as a treat. I go by myself most times so thats not very often.


Still, I'd like to inculcate healthy eating habits just so they develop a taste for the good stuff and not so much the bad/unhealthy. It's getting harder as they get older since I have complete control only at home. McDonald's and the like - I almost never take them to. Once a week, the husband buys the kids, nephews and nieces 'happy meals' if they've been particularly active and it calls for a peptone fill-up. Usually when the whole family's together for the weekend and the kids have worked up an appetite from playing.

They're not pro-salad even though I am and Reh wont come anywhere near green food. Nosh can still be threatened into downing some. I wonder if there's an easier way to get that in them.
It's a full-time activity I think just figuring various ways to get the various food groups into their bodies.

They're not choosy about food, but I'd still like for them to be good food lovers. Not just the apples, chicken, broccoli and banana types. I love it when I come up with something new and they enjoy it. I still am unsure about the carbs thing though. Anyone think its a good idea to cut down on them for kids too or am I just nuts?

Another thing that I picked up from my friend as a really useful tip was that we dont have to have dinner by 7:00 or 8:00pm as a rule. It can be done earlier by 5 or 6 and then healthy snacks can be had later if needed. I used to have a tough time trying to get them to finish eating and in bed by 9. (Yea, they're late sleepers). Thats a good bad habit to kick too I think. Sleeping on a full stomach. So dinners are early now and then I try to just give them fruits, milk or nuts at night when stomachs rumble later on. At least I dont have the tension of feeding sleepy-heads and getting them into bed by a deadline. Cant imagine why I didnt think of it before.

3 comments:

Mona said...

that's a great idea. it's something i've been doing for a while. z and i have dinner around 7 and it's really worked for us.
we don't skip breakfast anymore (we all know this is a good thing!) and we're not piling on the weight no matter what we eat.
and i don't know about cutting carbs for the kids, they might need those extra calories since they go through them that much faster.
wiki it?

dipali said...

Nat, eating early seems like a good idea. What you should try and avoid are refined products like white flour and its products, refined sugars etc.
Complex carbohydrates such as those found in whole grains, fruit, pulses etc. are rich sources of nutrients and fibre. Try and keep your foods as close to their natural form as possible- some foods are good eaten raw. Less oil, less fried food, less sugar- good lifelong policy. Don't be too rigid about it though- everything is good in moderation:)

the mad momma said...

umm... all the Brat eats is carbs. and a little bit of protein. very poor eater he is. but the ped did tell me that the kids need the carbs for all that energy they use up.