Can you believe this kid was bawling, snotty and hysterical 2 mins before he conked out? He got off the bus very happy and upbeat. Then his sister spoilt his surprise of what he'd made for me in school by telling me. Then she discovered the chocolate bar I'd bought as a surprise for them and he insisted on getting the whole bar. Of course thats a no can do. From then it was downhill. So I let out a war cry myself and cornered him into his room, tucked him into bed still with the sirens of his wailing in full steam and by the time I threatened to get a lakdi and be right back, he was just short of snoring.
Letter to Reh -
I totally understand my sweet son. Sometimes going out into the world and facing it in it's confusion can be frustrating for all of us adults too. So for a little soul like you I can't imagine everything you go through and struggle to make sense of. I so get that losing control over even the littlest things you cant control and almost everything being beyond your control can be maddening and really enough to make you sad. Thats why I never want to go back to being a child or teenager for that matter. All I can say is that I think you're a brave chap and I pray nothing breaks your spirit ever. EVER.
Lots of woodpeckery kisses,
Mom.
Nosh wanted to show you what she got at the show yesterday. Diego spinning inside that whirligig thing. It's cute Noshi-ma. I'm so glad we spent that time in the city yesterday. The high of it kept you awake long after I'd slept. For once it didnt bug me. Just made me smile. I love you.

11 comments:
aww Nat that was such a touching letter.. guess we in our hurry to get things over and done with, forget just how tough life seems from their perspective.. I confess I do.. but your letter just made me resolve to be more patient around the little one, I can suddenly picture her wide surprised eyes every time I lash out at her for something that could've been dealt with gently if not ignored altogether!
thanks for making me a better mom today :)
aww, what a sweet letter! :)
and the pictures too!
Such a lovely mum you are, Nat!
Mayg - i remember the wide-eyed surprise when I'm abrupt and impatient too and it kills me. Patience is a muscle we as moms need a lot of flexing of.
Mona - thanks :).
Dipali - thanks for the vote of confidence!
Maa ki mamta jaag uthi...sigh
awww, very touching post.
Hi:)
How do i reach you over email? Can you mail me? tharinid@gmail.com.
Awww, so you threaten with a lakdi too, do you?
I confess, when things get out of hand, my favourite (last)threat is, "Ab aur sharaarat huwi to pitai hojaeygi" (One more cheek out of you and it's spanking time).
It makes me feel guilty afterwards, and I'm glad that I hardly ever have to carry the threat out (time-outs tide me over most of the mischief), but, still....the guilt factor remains.
And you know one thing, Nat? Reading about your struggle with Reh and how he was snoring away within minutes reminded me of a lesson that I learn again and again with my 4-year-old: Apya is at her worst, worst, worst when she is tired and needs sleep; unfortunately at that time she will do everything in her power to drive away her sleep and does crazy things. Within minutes after her worst behaviour, she, like Reh, dozes off.
Leaving me all the guiltier for not understanding her. I have tried to minimize scenes by insisting on starting the bedtime routine earlier if she's cranky. We've had some success.
sigh, neways, just some of my thoughts.
Noshi-ma is a darling name. We add -ma to girls names too in our house.
On a totally different note...
Sorry about not taking up the tags. Here are my excuses/reasons:
1. I was on holiday when tagged for the first time.
2. I'm scared that I might get obsessed with taking up all tags like I am obsessed with reading blogs.
3. I'm downright lazy.
Haven't been through your blog lately, too. Will do so soon.
Thats a beautiful post and lovely pictures.. also i feel the same way about trees and windows.. just that there aren't many around my house :(
hey mummyjaan - yea before u kow t, they'll graduate to some other baffling behaviour and you're left wondering what's next?
SimplyPallu - no probs.
RaisingT - I knew we were kindred spirits when you came out with that exciting post on Spring!
Post a Comment