Tuesday, April 7

Nosh tales

Not all kids who want attention do it by getting in your face. I realised that much now with my daughter. She is demanding in her own way but not rude enough to get in your face and demand it. Thats why I see we've been going off track for a bit. And it didnt occur to me sooner.

The kid is gets antsy when there's nothing to do. Like all out irritated and Lost. Scattered and you can almost see it in a halo around her body. Scattered energy, frustration and grrrrrrs. They had Free Choice (as in do what you want like Free time) at school last week and the kid was one frustrated bundle by the end of it. Geez. Remember those days when a teacher was absent or we had 'Games' period and we lived for that half n hr? You didnt? Well I did and I came alive. 

It was just before school ended for the day and when I picked her up I could see she wanted to bite someone's head off. Little Nosh - you're growing into a very 'O C'MON! Dont waste my time woman'. Yes, the off-shoot of that would be that you would think you'r mom's life is a wasted exercise. Go with the flow being my mantra and all that. Of course you got it from your Dad - 'he who cant go to a mall unless there's something you need to buy from there'.

I tried to reason with her and all I could get was more Grrrrs and some dramatic rolling and thumping on the bed. 
I thought she might have been rejected or hurt by one of the kids, y'know those I wont be your friend or whatever games. No. That was'nt it. 
Did you fall? No. 
Did you lose something? No.
Did you forget something? No.
Did you eat? Yes.
What did you eat? A bagel. 
A bagel? Why? didnt they have anything halfway more decent than that? 
No. I just felt like having a bagel. 
Ok. 
So thats why you're so out of it. You're hungry. No.
Then what is it? 
They had Free Choice and I was so bored!
Alarms go off in my head. 

So anyway, we got around that and Nosh was happy again but I was left wondering whatever happened to 'yay! Free choice!'? Lets hope that was not all it was. But more than one incident like this has happened and I know for sure Nosh is not the kind who likes time without a purpose to it. And I thought she was a Piscean. There goes that theory. 

More than once I've heard the "But there's nothing to do mom! with a highly impatient and irritated strain to it. So nowadays if you hear "Let's throw a ball around" these parts more often than usual you know why. Or "Nosh you wanna do the dishes?" 

They're way past the stage where my doodles or their doodles left them fascinated. Cartoons dont do it anymore. Chores do believe it or not. Im pretty sure once Reh starts school this September full time its gonna be the same with him too. They dont want to come back and loll in front of the TV. They want to catch up and do things together. Never a dull moment around these parts these days. For me. ie.

Anyone got any tips for things to do while hanging out with your daughter? We have the get a slice of pizza and buy something she likes down pat. Throwing a ball too. Bit of the Wii too. Reading, crafts and all that happen as it is. Dun suggest baking anyone. To get all those kadhais and stuff out of the storage place my oven is and bake and then eat that cake by myself is no fun i tell you. It's asking for a guilt trip. 

Yes, other than that, I'm open to suggestions. While you're at it, throw me some ideas for the Spring Break starting tommorrow and lasting 10 days too. Cmon now. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

teach them name place animal thing , rock paper scissor, oranges n lemon , blowing bubbles from a spooons hole etc

Anonymous said...

By the way, how old is Nosh? I ask only because any suggestions should be age appropriate.

Nat said...

Anon - all those things we do...
Era - nosh is 6.2 to be precise.!

Era said...

This one comes from my mom's playbook. It may be a little tricky for you because you have a second little one who hasn't started school yet.

My mom started me on jig-saw puzzles very young. Once I mastered the ones with a few big pieces, the pieces got smaller and more numerous. To this day I still enjoy a beautiful puzzle. Now-a-days I stick between 1000 and 3000 pieces.

I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but it sure kept me busy for a long time.

dipali said...

Embroidery, starting with cross stitch on mattie and a thick,dull needle. You can use colourful wool and running stitch patterns in different colours, all kinds of things.