- Was looking at 'ham'mer Reh doing his thing in front of the front foyer mirror today and realised I was going to miss this guy terribly when he starts school full-time this September. I'm not kidding but I feel like the kids have semi-flown the nest. And its not a nice feeling let me tell you.
- Nosh is in my perfume tray, nail polish tray, (yes, I do buy them even if I never wear them) clothes closet already. I buy something and she goes -will you let me have that when I'm older? And I hope to god it never fits her. that its ten sizes too big.
- Dressing up for me these days means running a comb through my hair. Yea. If I manage to look at myself in the mirror while running out that is. I usually do *after* I get back home....
- Dyou have those moments when you realise your life is SO different now from what you knew of it before that when you do something you used to, other people look at you like "you're starting a new hobby"? I bought embroidery kits from India, software for photos that lets me edit them into comic strips yesterday and both times I got looks from people like - "o?" That made me feel like saying - no my mum and dad loved my work - ask them! Like yea I used to be someone else!
- Congress winning in India- it's a relief in more ways than one.
- Reh has started fibbing out of fear of being punished. Little things like he took a crayon without knowing from reading class and when I asked him whose it was, he insisted it was his. When I said we have to return it, he broke down crying uncontrollably (this is from a kid who rarely cries) bcos he thought his teachers would be mad at him. I'm sad. I didnt want that for him even though I know I was the same. I dont want somone's approval or disapproval to cut him up like this. I also dont want him to be afraid of consequences so much that he has to resort to lying to not get into trouble. I tried explaining the best I could but it was evident his mind was stuck on the image of teachers being mad at him even though the teacher there loves him so much she asks me to leave him him there longer till his sister's done too, instead of picking him up like I do. So thats something we have to work on.
- Dyou have those times where your partner has a different way of doing things with the kids and sometimes you just cannot agree or your work is undone or causing the kids confusion? I realised the one thing I have been in control of is the kids and I dont like anyone messing with my work. I am so the oppositte of a control freak in other areas of life (or its the passive aggressiveness) that this one area just makes up for it all.
- I also have come to understand that one area I'm not so happy with in my life affects everything else. And yet its not healthy or productive to be that way. Its my all or nothing mentality and its not working for me. Something went right (I went to the gym) and everything else was easy to tackle. Something went wrong and it boiled over onto everything else and suddenly everything seemed like an uphill task. Pants I bought fit superbly and I sailed through the days chores. I wonder if thats something that I need to train my brain for. Water-tight compartments. Or is it foolish bcos its a lost cause?
- I dont know if I really believe TV's so bad for kids. I know friends who watched everything I watched and more and did better. and vice versa. Ditto for handheld games n stuff. I guess again it shouldnt be an all or nothing thing. And yet, it's not so simple.
Wednesday, May 20
Bullet edition no1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
First of all, beautiful picture of the kids in the header.
I know what you mean about fibbing to avoid punishment. My daughter was like that for a while. I emphasized that mistakes happen so let me know and I won't get mad. I made it clear that I only punish for lying. I don't know if that is considered a bad way to go about it, but it helped. I just had to make sure I did not get mad when they confessed, rather help them with solutions for the next time they find themselves in that particular situation.
And TV can't be all bad. Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Thanks Era - Its always helpful to know there are others who've faced what you're going through and how they handled it.
Thanks a million for ur input.
Boo, am gonn ahve to read through once more before I respond.
Deep stuff!
POint 7 and 8 - ditto.
I'm fighting my need to control the parenting. Its hard to resist though.
As for one thing toppling the other - gawd i hear you. If only life didn't spill over all the time! I find that the days the home is not organized and clean - or I feel asleep without clearing the kitchen or something - I am guaranteed to have an awful day.
I need more Gretchen Rubin:-)
Post a Comment